The establishment of the Gallery of Naïve Art

People started to talk more and more about these peasant-painters, and so the idea of opening an art gallery was born. On the 15th of May 1955, Kovačica became the first village in the whole of former Yugoslavia to get its own gallery of paintings. This gallery was originally located...

© Galerija naivne umetnosti

  • People started to talk more and more about these peasant-painters, and so the idea of opening an art gallery was born.
  • On the 15th of May 1955, Kovačica became the first village in the whole of former Yugoslavia to get its own gallery of paintings. This gallery was originally located in the building of Kovačica Cultural Centre.
  • In September of 1989, the Gallery of Naïve Art was moved to a restored village house in the centre of town, with a total exhibition space of 250 m2.
  • In December of 2008, the Municipal Assembly of Kovačica established the Gallery of Naïve Art as a separate institution, independent of the Cultural Centre.
  • In the following years, with funding from the National Council of the Slovak National Minority, the Provincial Secretariat for Culture, Information, and Relations with religious Communities and the Municipality of Kovačica, the Gallery’s exhibition space doubled in size to 500 m2.

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap